Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $800 million in research and provided more than $1.6 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life.

About the Arkansas Affiliate 

The Arkansas Affiliate of Susan G. Komen was incorporated in 1992 by Terri DeSio, Pat McClelland and Pat Torvestad. Since its founding, the Arkansas Affiliate has held 21 Komen Races for the Cure ® in downtown Little Rock, welcoming women, men and children from throughout the state. The Arkansas Affiliate has distributed almost $17.4 million throughout the state, funding breast cancer screening, treatment and education grants in our 67 Arkansas county service area and two counties in Texas. The Affiliate has also funded an additional $6 million to national breast cancer research.

The Race for the Cure provides an opportunity to honor breast cancer survivors and to remember those who have lost the battle. Of the money raised through the Race, 75 percent stays in Arkansas to fund educational programs, while the remaining 25 percent funds national research grants that are related to the treatment and cure of breast cancer.

The Arkansas Affiliate has become a powerful voice for change through the passage of the Breast Cancer Act of 1997 which provides funding for the promotion of breast cancer awareness, mammograms, and treatment. A member of the Arkansas Affiliate Foundation board of directors serves as a member of the state Breast Cancer Advisory Board which oversees the funding provided by the legislation.